Last Updated: Jun 30, 2016
Aside from other important holiday to-do’s like taking a family Christmas photo and getting your shopping done, another significant item on your Christmas checklist is your annual Christmas card. This season, we’re here to help you get your Christmas cards signed, sealed and delivered. Our guide will help you create the perfect Season’s greetings for everyone on your list. The last thing you need to worry about is what to write in your Christmas cards!
Jump to a specific section to find the perfect Christmas card wording and messages:
Crafting the perfect message isn’t time-consuming when you gather your sentiments in advance and take a few moments to think about what you’d like to write. Holiday sentiments will not only warm the hearts of your recipients, but also let the special people in your life know that you’re thinking of them now and always. Whether you’re writing a Christmas card greeting for close friends, family or your associates, the best way to spread holiday cheer is by sending custom Christmas cards.
|What to Write In a Christmas Card:|
|Start your Christmas card message with a Christmas greeting like "Happy Holidays!" or "Merry Christmas!"|
|Write a personalized messaged based on your relationship with the recipient.|
|For business Christmas cards, write Christmas messages that are cheerful yet appropriate.|
|Write a few funny Christmas card lines if you know your card recipient is the type to enjoy a good laugh.|
|Write a few religious sayings or Christmas bible verses for those recipients who celebrate their faith during the holiday season.|
|Write Christmas card quotes to share the magic of the season.|
|Don't forget to sign your Christmas cards.|
In Detail: What to Write in a Christmas Card
It’s not always easy to put your feelings into words or sum up the memorable year that your family had. We have you covered with everything you need to know about what to write in a Christmas card to jumpstart your writing. Follow the steps below to create the perfect Christmas card sayings for your holiday greetings:
- Start your Christmas card message with a Christmas greeting. The beginning of your message should include short and sweet greetings that serve as a festive way to address your card recipients. A Christmas wish can go a long way and is the perfect opening for your tailored greeting. Traditional sentiments include, “Merry Christmas!” or “Happy Holidays!”
- Write a personalized message based on your relationship with the recipient.If you’re close with the card recipient, write a heartfelt message.This will show your card recipient just how much you’re thinking about them this holiday season. Use details specific to the person opening the card to personalize your Christmas card sentiments. Make comments about some big news, a special occasion coming up or a new addition to the family to go along with the rest of your greeting.
- For business Christmas cards, use Christmas messages that are cheerful yet appropriate. Remember to use formal or professional titles when addressing your Christmas cards, especially when writing on behalf of your business.
- Write a few funny Christmas card lines if you know your card recipient is the type to enjoy a few laughs.
- Write a few religious sayings or Christmas bible verses for those recipients who celebrate their faith during the holiday season.
- Use Christmas card quotes to share the magic of the season. Quotes are the perfect way to inspire your loved ones during the holidays. Don’t be afraid to use cheerful or jolly quotes that spread your festive spirit.
- Don’t forget to sign your Christmas cards. Use a warm closing for close family and friends, use formal titles for those recipients’ you are not as close with and utilize a more professional closing for your business Christmas cards.
Classic Christmas Card Messages
Using a classic Christmas card message or saying is a great way to spread the spirit of the holiday season. A classic Christmas card message is a safe standby because it’s universal and perfect for just about everyone on your list. You can use a short saying or pair a few together to craft a more meaningful greeting.
- Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
- Wishing you a Merry Christmas!
- Unwrap yourself a joyful Christmas!
- Have a holly, jolly Christmas!
- Merry Christmas with lots of love.
- The best present one can hope for this year is to spend time together. I can’t wait to celebrate the holidays with you.
- Have yourself a Merry little Christmas, Let your heart be light.
- Ho Ho Hope you’ve been good this year. Merry Christmas!
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Let us celebrate by spreading goodwill and Christmas cheer!
- May the spirit of Christmas be with you throughout the New Year.
- May the sights and sounds of Christmas work their merry magic in your heart.
- May the sweet magic of Christmas conspire to gladden your heart and fill every desire.
- May this Christmas end the present year on a cheerful note and make way for a fresh and bright New Year. Here’s wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
- May the Christmas season fill your home with joy, your heart with love and your life with laughter.
- Thinking warmly of each of you and wishing your family an extra measure of comfort, joy and hope this Christmas.
- Here’s to a season filled with warmth, comfort and good cheer!
- May the magic and thrill of the holiday season stretch on!
- Have a great Christmas! Take the time to celebrate your desires, values and affections with your loved ones. Wishing you all the best.
- The [insert name here] family wishes you and all those close to you a joyous holiday season and new year filled with happiness and hope for a world at peace.
- Whatever is beautiful, whatever is meaningful, whatever brings happiness, may it be yours this holiday season and throughout the coming year.
- To those we love and see each day and other loved ones far away, to all good friends who mean so much and those with whom we’re out of touch… Wishing you every happiness this holiday season and throughout the coming year.
- Hope you have a remember-forever-and-ever kind of holiday.
Funny Christmas Card Messages
Sometimes a holiday card with a funny Christmas card saying is exactly what your friends and family need during the holiday season. These funny sayings are used most often with roommates, close friends, siblings, and also make the perfect addition for your pet Christmas cards. While using some humor in your Christmas sentiments, be sure to not offend the recipient. Use the examples below:
- Christmas is Claus for celebration!
- Three phrases that sum up Christmas are: Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men and Batteries not Included.
- May your fun be large and bills be small this year. Merry Christmas!
- Please note: Christmas is cancelled. Apparently, you told Santa you have been good this year…he died laughing.
- There’s snowbody like you!
- Christmas is the season when you buy this year’s gifts with next year’s money.
- Fa la la la la, la la la la! Wishing you some decked out holiday glee!
- My favorite part of the holiday season is blaming my long-term weight gain on the holiday season. Merry Christmas!
- When you stop believing in Santa Claus is when you start to get clothes for Christmas. Happy holidays!
- I put so much thought into your gift that it’s now too late to get it. Merry Christmas anyways!
- Get your fat pants ready, it’s Christmas!
- Merry Christmas! Know what the best thing about this card is? It doesn’t come with a fruitcake!
- Why are Dasher and Dancer always taking coffee breaks? Because they are Santa’s star bucks. Happy Holidays!
- Anyone know where I can buy love? They told me that was the best thing to give out this Christmas.
- The best thing we all teach our kids about Christmas is honesty. “Sure…there’s a real Santa Claus.”
- May your gifts be many, and your returns be few. Have a stress free holiday season!
- If a fat man puts you in a bad tonight don’t worry, I told Santa I want you for Christmas.
- If tonight some big fat man kidnaps and throws you in a sack , then please stay calm. Because many people would have asked Santa for a sweet friend like you. Merry Christmas!
- Christmas is mostly for children. But we adults can enjoy it too, until the credit card bills arrive.
- Christmas is a time for remembering family and trying to guess everyone’s sizes! Have a wonderful Christmas.
- “Christmas is a time when everyone wants his past forgotten and his present remembered.” -Phyllis Diller
- “You can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle three things: a rainy day, lost luggage and tangled Christmas lights.” -Maya Angelou
- “You know you’re getting old when Santa starts looking younger.” -Robert Paul
Religious Christmas Card Greetings
Celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and rejoice in the reason for the season by using a religious Christmas saying in your card. There are plenty of fitting bible verses about Christmas that can help you celebrate your shared faith with card recipients.
- Happy birthday Jesus!
- I’m excited to be able to wish you a merry Christmas
- Jesus is the reason for this Christmas season.
- God bless you at Christmas and always.
- May the timeless message of Christmas fill your heart and home with joy now and throughout the coming year.
- May you have the gift of faith, the blessing of hope and the peace of his love at Christmas and always.
- Holy Christmas Night. On this holy night may your heart be illuminated with love, joy and peace. We wish you a wonderful season. Merry Christmas to all!
- Rejoice in the birth of our Lord and Savior. May the blessings of Christ be upon you and your loved ones this season and into the New Year.
- Hope you’re filled with His love and wrapped in His peace as we celebrate the miracle of His birth.
- Christmas is a time to open our hearts to God and his gifts. Just like the rest of the year.
- My special wishes to you and to all those who are close to you. May you have a Christmas that is more special than it has ever been. May Baby Jesus bless you abundantly.
- As we rejoice and celebrate this wonderful season of Christmas, let us not forget to thank baby Jesus for coming into our live. Let us together prepare ourselves to welcome him into the homes of our hearts. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.
- May you have the gift of Faith, the blessing of Hope, and the peace of His Love at Christmas and always.
- May the blessing of knowing Christ enrich your life in the year 2017.
- A Christmas prayer from the [insert name here] family. We pray your spirit is light with hope, your heart is filled with joy and your holiday is blessed with the Glory of God. May his love bring you peace at Christmas and always.
- As you celebrate the miracle of this special season, may your heart be filled with joy and peace. May these holiday blessings linger in your home and stay with you throughout the year.
- “And so, this Christmas season May our hearts with gladness glow, As we read the blessed story that took place so long ago.” -Alpha L. Butain, The First Christmas
- “Christmas is joy, religious joy, an inner joy of light and peace.” -Pope Francis
- For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16 Merriest Christmas!
- For today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11
- She will bear a Son; and you shall call his name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins. Matthew 1:21
- When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. Matthew 1:23
Business Christmas Card Greetings
Exchanging good will is done unreservedly throughout the holiday season, but when it comes to wishing your boss well or writing a Christmas card on behalf of your business, you may get stuck. Showing your clients and employees that you appreciate their valued support can be difficult and you may not have the time to conjure up the perfect message. Whether you’re writing a Christmas card for a coworker or as a business, these Christmas messages are the perfect mix of personality and professionalism.
- Merry Christmas! Looking forward to a successful year!
- Tidings of Joy.
- Wishing you the gifts of the season —Peace, Joy, Hope.
- Joy! Celebrate the season.
- Wintry wishes. May this season bring you the gifts of peace, hope and joy.
- Thank you for your business. We look forward to celebrating the spirit of the season with you.
- We’re sending our very best wishes and we’re adding this special thought too…an extra Merry Christmas we bring all of you. Thank you and happy holidays!
- Happy Holidays and warm wishes for 2016!
- May the good cheer last throughout the year.
- Wishing you a wonderful holiday season.
- We appreciate your business and wish you the best in the coming year.
- Best wishes for a happy holiday season and our sincere thank for your loyalty and goodwill throughout the year.
- We’re so glad to have you as a client and look forward to
- Wishing you every happiness this holiday season and throughout the coming year.
- Sharing work experience with you is a treasure; best wishes for the opportunity to serve in your establishment. Happy Christmas.
- All of us at [Company Name] join in saying Thank You and wishing you a happy holidays.
- Happy Holidays from everyone at [Company Name]. We hope your holidays will be filled with joy and laughter through the New Year.
- With sincere appreciation for your friendship and goodwill, we wish you all the joys of this holiday season.
- At the holiday season, our thoughts turn gratefully to those who have made our progress possible. It is in this spirit that we say…Thank you and best wishes for the holidays and Happy New Year.
- Because the goodwill of those we serve is the foundation of our success, it’s a real pleasure at this holiday time to say thank you as we wish you a full year of happiness and success.
- As the Holiday Season is upon us, we find ourselves reflecting on the past year and on those who have helped to shape our business in a most significant way. We value our relationship with you and look forward to working with you in the year to come. We wish you a very happy Holiday Season and a New Year filled with peace and prosperity.
- You are a wonderful mentor, thank you and Merry Christmas! I hope that you have a great holiday season and that this year is better than last!
- The team at [company name] wishes you peace, joy and prosperity throughout the coming year. Thank you for your continued support and partnership. We look forward to the years to come.
Christmas Card Quotes
When it comes to the decision of including a joyful or classic Christmas card quote in your message, you can never go wrong with adding an extra holiday tiding. Mirror the traditions that are close to your heart in your own season’s greetings with these popular messages, and quotes from classic to funny.
- “Christmas is the day that holds all time together.” -Alexander Smith
- “I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” -Charles Dickens
- “Christmas is a stocking stuffed with sugary goodness.” -Mo Rocca
- “Christmas gift suggestions: To your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To your friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect.” -Oren Arnold
- “Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn’t before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. What if Christmas…perhaps…means a little bit more!” -How The Grinch Stole Christmas
- “Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly Merry Christmas.” -Peg Bracken
- “At Christmas play and make good cheer, for Christmas comes but once a year.” -Thomas Tusser
- “Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone else” -Charles Schulz
- “Peace on earth will come to stay, when we live Christmas every day.” -Helen Steiner Rice
- “At Christmas play and make good cheer, For Christmas comes but once a year.” -Thomas Tusser
- “We make a living by what we get but we make a life by what we give.” -Winston Churchill
- “Let us remember that the Christmas heart is a giving heart, a wide open heart that thinks of others first. The birth of the baby Jesus stands as the most significant event in all history, because it has meant the pouring into a sick world of the healing medicine of love which has transformed all manner of hearts for almost two thousand years. Underneath all the bulging bundles is this beating Christmas heart.” -George Mathew Adams
- “A Christmas candle is a lovely thing; It makes no noise at all, But softly gives itself away; While quite unselfish, it grows small.” -Eva K. Logue
- “Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.” -Norman Vincent Peale
- “The best Christmas trees come very close to exceeding nature.” -Andy Rooney
- “Keep calm and jingle on” -Anonymous
- “If kisses were snowflakes, I’d send you a blizzard.”-Anonymous
- “My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?” -Bob Hope
- “Bah, humbug!” -Charles Dickens
- “The excellence of a gift lies in its appropriateness rather than in its value.” -Charles Dudley Warner
- “Baby, it’s cold outside.” -Christmas Carol
- “Fa La La La La, La La La La!” -Christmas Carol
Christmas Messages For Friends
When it comes to spreading Christmas cheer, you should always send a message to your friends and wish them a Merry Christmas. Your Christmas wish should include sentiments about friendship while wishing him or her a Happy Holidays!
- Wishing you my friends all the special blessings of Christmas and the New Year.
- So grateful to have a friend like you at Christmas and all year long.
- Friends make the holiday season fun and festive. I can’t wait to party and deck the halls with you this Christmas.
- A friend like you is what makes Christmas special to me. Nothing makes me happier than sharing this season with you and I can’t wait for Christmas to get here.
- Enjoy the magic this holiday season by listening to music and celebrating the occasion with the people that you care for most.
- Where could I find a best friend like you? Not at the North Pole, that’s for sure. This year know that the best gift in my life are best friends like you. Merry Christmas.
- For my special friend, I send holiday greeting wishes for fun filled holiday season. I hope you will have lots of fun adventure and exciting moments on your holiday season this year. Have a happy holiday buddy.
- Wishing you unlimited joy and infinite fun! Hope these holidays rejuvenate you, so that you return with full on energy and enthusiasm. Take Care. Happy holidays!
- The best present one can hope for this year is to spend time together. I can’t wait to celebrate the holidays with you my friend!
- Merry Christmas to the best friend in the world, the person that sees through my faults and loves me anyway. I’m wishing you joy and blessings this Christmas. I am so proud to call you a part of my family and I cherish the time I spend with you.
Christmas Messages For Family
If you’re sending a Christmas wish to a family member, be sure to include sentiments about the importance of spending time with family and cherishing your loved ones. Your Christmas card wishes should be heartfelt and warm with emotion.
- Having parents like you is the best Christmas gift there ever could be.
- My favorite part about the holiday season are all of our Christmas memories together. I’m so thankful to have such loving people in my life. Here’s to many more Christmas memories and too many cookies.
- You’re someone who helps me remember the true reason for the season, and I’m so grateful for you.
- I’ll sure miss being together for Christmas this year. Eat a few extra pieces of pie for me, okay?! Sending my love to you all.
- There is no greater gift this holiday season than spending time with family around the Christmas tree. Can’t wait to see you all Christmas Eve.
- What can be better than opening presents, eating food and singing Christmas music? Doing all those things with family like you!
- Christmas brings family and friends together; it helps us appreciate the love in our lives we can often take for granted. May the true meaning of the holiday season fill your heart and home with many blessings.
- Wondrous Christmas nights always remind me that I’ll never be alone, because my beautiful family will never let it happen. And I promise you just the same. Merry Christmas!
- Don’t worry about the gift for me on this Christmas. My dear sweet family in good health and great mood is everything I want to get. Because that’s what I need to be happy. Merry Christmas!
- For me, Christmas and my family are inseparable. I can’t imagine this wonderful and magic holiday without love and care which we give to each other every Christmas night. It’s a real wonder. Merry Christmas!
- May God’s blessing shine down upon you and your family this holiday season. Sending love from our family to yours.
Christmas Messages For Co-Worker
During the holiday season, don’t forget about your co-workers. You likely spend a lot of time with your co-workers, so sending a card full of wishes can serve as a nice gesture. Choose Christmas wishes that are appropriate to keep your sentiments professional.
- An abundance of joy to you this holiday season. Happy Holidays to my co-worker!
- You’re more than just a co-worker. You’re a friend. Happy Holidays.
- I like seeing you at work you add a bit of happiness to the place. Happy Holidays!
- I definitely didn’t want this holiday season to pass by without me wishing you a Merry Christmas! P.S. I’m happy we’re on the same team!
- Merry Christmas to my co-worker may your holiday season be as bright as you make our office.
- Your support and companionship means a lot to me. Thanks for everything. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
- You have been a good friend and a great companion to me. You have had a big role to play in my work so, thank you for your kind support. Keep smiling as you spread the cheer. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
- Working with you is a pleasure in life. There is so much to learn from you so thank you for being the best co-worker. Merry Christmas to you!
- Christmas is just another day to say working with you has always been so wonderful. Merry Christmas!
- You are a pillar of our success. Here is wishing you a Merry Christmas.
Christmas Messages For Boss
When sending a Christmas card to your boss, it’s always important to choose the right words and remain professional. If you’re unsure of what is appropriate to write, use any of our business holiday card messages for your boss below to complete your greeting.
- Working for you has made my time on the team a great experience. You have a gift for making people feel like they are important to our business. Merry Christmas!
- You have inspired me, and that is one of the greatest gifts I will receive this Christmas season.
- From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for being a great boss and a great source of inspiration and motivation.
- Thank you for a fantastic year and for inspiring us through each and every obstacle. Merry Christmas!
- Our team wouldn’t be the same without you! Merry Christmas!
- Thank you for the successful year and the guidance in everything we do. We will meet again next year with a lot of new ideas and new energy.
- Before we all leave for the Christmas vacation, thank you, boss, for being an adviser and a friend.
- Thank you for the pleasant cooperation this year. We wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Workloads come and go. Clients come and go. Monthly business targets come and go, but Christmas comes once in a year and a boss like you comes once in a lifetime. Merry Christmas to the best boss in the whole world.
- Merry Christmas! We thank you for the pleasant cooperation and hope that you will give us in the New Year your confidence. Together we will master the challenges of the future.
Warm Closing for Christmas Cards
The last step in finalizing your Christmas card messages is to include a warm closing and sign your name. This part of your Christmas greeting will also depend on who you are writing to and the circumstance. Pick one of the examples below or craft your own signature. You can also use our detailed guide for how to sign Christmas cards to find proper etiquette tips!
For Friends and Family:
- Merry Christmas,
- Wishing you Joy,
- With Love,
- With Love Always,
- Hugs and Kisses,
- Christmas Blessings,
- Love You Friend,
- Hoping to See You Soon,
- Brightest Blessings,
As a Business:
- Merry Christmas,
- Happy Holidays,
- All The Dedicated Staff At,
- Season’s Greetings,
- Best Regards,
- Warm Regards,
- From Your Friends At,
- Thanks For Another Great Year,
- All Best,
Christmas Card Etiquette
Once you’ve got your greetings set for the holiday season, make sure to follow proper Christmas card etiquette to ensure your good tidings warm the hearts of your card recipients! Use the tips below to address and send your cards off without any mishaps:
- Use your own handwriting. Another great way to keep your cards personal is by using your own handwriting wherever possible. This shows that you took the extra time to give each card a special touch and it makes your Christmas greeting one-of-a-kind.
- Use black or blue ink only. In order to stay consistent and make sure your card is legible, use black or blue ink for the best outcome.
- Use proper titles when addressing your Christmas cards. Ensure that your card gets the right response by using the appropriate titles for recipients. If you’re close with the recipient, you can address them without a title. However, if you’re not close with the recipient, be sure to use a formal title such as “Ms. Jane Doe” or “Mr. Jane Doe”. Learn more about what titles to use in every scenario using our guide on how to address Christmas cards.
- Choose a Christmas card closing. Before finishing off your Christmas card message, don’t forget to sign your card with an appropriate closing. You can use any of our suggested Christmas card closings to complete your cards.
- Send Christmas cards the first week of December. Protect the intended cheer of your Christmas cards by making sure they arrive on time. We suggest not sending Christmas cards earlier than the week before Thanksgiving and no later than the end of the second week of December. Use our article on when to send Christmas cards to find the accurate time frame to send your cards.
- Always include a return address on your Christmas card. Not only will this let you know if you sent your card to the wrong address, but this will also help the your friends and family stay organized. That way, if they haven’t already sent you their Christmas card, they have your address on hand to send one in return if they wish to.
If you are searching for more encompassing holiday greetings like thanksgiving messages , New Years wishes, or messages for Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, take a look at our article for what to write in a holiday card. Keep these etiquette tips in mind while creating your messages so you don’t make any mistakes. With all the time you’ve invested in perfecting your Christmas greeting, you may want to add something extra to your envelopes. Custom address labels or holiday stamps will elevate your season’s greetings and tie your stationery together. Lastly, if you are looking for christmas card ideas or holiday card ideas, visit our holiday category.
On Nov. 17, Sia will release a Christmas album.
Like everything Sia touches, it will likely be a very good Christmas album. Billboard reports that it contains 10 “soon-to-be” classics with seasonally appropriate titles that include “Snowman,” “Candy Cane Lane,” “Underneath the Mistletoe” and “Underneath the Christmas Lights.” Another perpetuates the false, yet still very nice, idea that “Puppies Are Forever” while the album’s lead single, “Santa’s Coming for Us,” conjures an oddly sinister vision of the traditional carmine figure.
We are not here to discuss any of that, though.
We are here to discuss the glaring and seemingly unintentional grammatical error in the album’s title, “Everyday Is Christmas.” Yes, “Everyday” should be “Every Day.”
And now: a pause for eye-rolling.
Though confusing the two terms is an everyday occurrence, it’s not every day that we see such a high-profile misuse. “Everyday” is an adjective used to describe things that are commonplace or literally happen daily, so it doesn’t make sense right before the verb “is.”
Except for descriptive clauses, English syntax usually demands we know whom or what we’re talking about before we dive into the action bit (the verb). Regarding Sia’s album, we’re talking about days. Specifically, all of them. Every day.
The phrase normally functions adverbially, as in, “I wish I could eat Christmas cookies every day.” In this case, though, its function aligns with that of “today” in the statement: “Today is Christmas! Huzzah!” That is, it’s more of a noun or noun phrase.
Grammarist cites a simple test: “Every day” should be used if it could be easily substituted for “each day.” And each day is Christmas, or at least feels more like it, if you listen to Sia’s new songs 365 days per year. Or something.
There is, however, one possibility we must acknowledge that would negate this entire argument, subjecting you to several paragraphs’ worth of discussion on grammar for only the sheer fun of it ― artistic license. Sia and Atlantic Records could have made some kind of creative linguistic choice, bucking the rules for effect’s sake.
We do not know what that effect would be.
HuffPost has chosen to bother two of the singer’s representatives with this question, and will update this post if one of them stops pointing both her eyeballs toward the ceiling long enough to tap out a response. (Sorry, representatives. So sorry.)
In the meantime, this writer looks forward to cringing internally when “Everyday Is Christmas” ads crop up before the big day.